The tips listed below are provided in addition to the pointers contained on the Tips for Recording Interviews page.
- Where possible choose a location where your recording will pick up the least amount of noise from factories, traffic, people, telephones, etc. If necessary, close doors, windows and switch off fans to minimise noise interference.
- Set your recording device to record an uncompressed file format such as “.wav” (Windows) or “.aiff” (Mac) or a lossless compressed format such as “.wma” or even “.mp3”.
- If you are making use of a battery powered device, ensure that battery life will allow for optimal recording for the required length of time.
- Ensure that your recording device is not set to “voice activation” mode.
- If possible, make use of a lapel microphone to optimise capture of your respondent’s input. This is especially important if the interview is being conducted in a noisy environment.
Visit Etranscript’s website for more information on our interview transcription services.