Tips to achieve optimal interview recording quality
A few helpful tips to achieve the best possible recording for your interview are listed below.
- Set the recording device to record in an uncompressed file format such as “.wav” (Windows) or “.aiff” (Mac). In a quiet environment with acceptable acoustics, file formats such “.mp3” or “.wma” would also be appropriate.
- Environmental noise – such as that of air-conditioners, fans, radios, TVs, passing vehicle and people traffic – can impact on how well voice input is heard and transcribed. Where possible, switch off devices and equipment that are a potential source of background noise that could impact on the quality of the recording.
- Remind your interviewee to increase voice projection in noisy environments.
- Place mobile phones as far as possible from the recording device to exclude or minimise interference.
- In an extremely noisy environment such as a restaurant, it would be best to make use of a lapel microphone. Alternatively, place the recording device as close as possible to your interviewee.